Dear Allstat,

I am working on a multi-centre clinical trial which uses minimisation
on various factors to randomise patients.  One of the factors that is
minimised on is centre, and we realise that this is likely to
increase predictability of treatment within centre, as when centre is
included in minimisation algorithms, the treatment allocation just
tends to alternate.

The reason for including centre in the minimisation algorithm in this
trial is that the primary outcome is measured by Doppler, which will
be of variable quality between centres, so we want treatment to be
balanced within centre.

I'm looking at ways to improve on this.  We want to retain the
minimisation method as the trial is underway, but we want some way to
tweak it, so that it remains as balanced as possible, but is less
predictable.

I have found an abstract in Controlled Clinical Trials by Gerrit
Waverling and Martin Prins, looking at 'fixed P minimisation' and
'shifting P minimisation'.  However, it is just an abstract at a
meeting and it doesn't give many details.

Does anyone out there have any papers, experience or advice they can
give me on this issue?

I have to decide what to do about this within a couple of weeks, so I
will provide a summary once I've decided what to do.

Thanks,

Steff Lewis.

Stephanie C. Lewis, PhD MSc CStat
Medical Statistician
Bramwell Dott Building
Department of Clinical Neurosciences
Western General Hospital
Crewe Road
EDINBURGH         Tel: +44 (0) 131 537 2932
EH4 2XU           Fax: +44 (0) 131 332 5150
UK              Email: [log in to unmask]