Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002
From: Florence Myles <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Green paper on language learning

1. A foreigh language in primary school is great, IF it is
part of a comprehensive language education policy. As it
stands, because it's going to be optional and demands on
the curriculum (and on primary school kids from many other
extracurricular activities) are many, languages are likely
to be taught outside mainstream hours and therefore not
taken up much more than the current afterschool French
clubs (and primarily by middle class kids).

Who is going to teach all these primary school kids is also
a major issue.

But my main worry about languages in primary schools is
that unless there is a proper progression when moving to
secondary school, it has more of a negative impact than a
positive one. All the pilot schemes in the 80s introducing
foreign languages in primaries failed (to a large extent)
because kids had got all enthusiastic at primary, and
arrived into secondary schools to be put in the same
classes as other kids who had never done any. They got
bored and switched off (and the other kids felt
inadequate). As I can't see how secondary schools will be
able to accommodate all different levels they'll get, given
the shortage of teachers and the unflexibility of the
system, the effect is likely to be disastrous. So, although
I think the idea is great in principle, I don't think it
has been thought through properly. My view is that it
should be compulsory or it's unworkable.

2. Making languages optional post 14 is also misguided in
my view. Although it is true that making them compulsory
hasn't been the great success which was hoped for, it is
still a fairly new initiative which hasn't bedded in
properly. I completely agree that there are problems with
the current key stage 4 in terms of achievements and
motivation, BUT those problems need to be tackled, not
avoided. If kids underperform in maths at key stage 4,
policy makers work out why and do something about it, they
don't make maths optional. There are very clear reasons in
my mind why kids underperform and are demotivated from year
9 onwards. It's all to do with the national curriculum and

the obsession with exams which make language learning
extremely boring for them (and the teachers, who have their
hands tied because what counts is how many children they'll
get through GCSEs for league tables purposes). Children are
not encouraged or even allowed to explore and experiment
with language, but are made to learn routines which will
get them through GCSEs and from which they musn't deviate.
If the curriculum and GCSE exams were based on proper
understanding of progression in language learning, we
wouldn't be where we are now. So I think it is premature to
drop compulsory languages post 14. Instead, the curriculum
needs to be reviewed, and informed by research in language
learning and teaching (it isn't at the moment).

3. Further to the above about the proposals themselves, I
also think that it will have disastrous effects higher up,
with less and less students coming to university to study
languages, and the acute problems with teacher recruitment
will get even worse. It will also reinforce the message
that languages are not really important, which is the last
thing we need if we are to redress the underachievement of
the UK in this area. I think it's actually probably more
this second point which might have an impact on HE numbers
rather than the first one, as we don't tend to get the 14
to 16 who would have dropped languages anyway. But making
foreign languages part of the normal expectation of
citizens of Europe and of an increasingly global world
strikes me as vitally important if we are to move away from
the UK's insularity.

Dr Florence Myles
Senior Lecturer in French and Linguistics
School of Modern Languages
University of Southampton

Aidan Coveney
University of Exeter