Barclays and Nat West in Sheffield appear to have changed their
regulations following September 11.  Barclays have provided a pro
forma letter to be issued on University of Sheffield letterhead. The
main feature of this letter is to confirm that the University has
corresponded with the student at "their overseas address".

I have spoken to the student liaison manager at Barclays who for
the time being, has agreed to accept a Certificate of Student
Status that we can produce directly from the Student Record
database, plus the offer letter sent to the student prior to arriving in
Sheffield.  How many students actually bring their offer letter once
they arrive at University is limited.  In some cases an offer letter
may still be in transit to an international address meanwhile the
student is already in Sheffield!

Producing a letter with Barclays required text is not a problem.
The problem is, if the banks change their regulations without
informing HEI's and without consultation amongst themselves to
ensure one version will suit all their requirements, student's end up
in a loop between the Banks and their HEI.

Better communication is required.

Catherine McKeown
University of Sheffield, Student Services Information Desk,
The Union of Students, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TG
Tel: 0114 2221316, Fax: 0114 2221297