At Sussex, the concern is directed mainly at unseen exam scripts -
virtually everything else is typed (or should that be word-processed,
showing my age there!).

If an examiner determines that a script is illegible/unreadable, the
student is contacted and we contact one of our on-campus volunteers
(usually clerical officers in Schools) who is prepared to type the
script. The student and the typist then work together in transcribing
the script verbatim from the script. The student and the typist have
to sign a declaration that no improvement was made to the paper in
transcribing it. Then the illegible and typed version go the original
examiner for marking. The candidate is charged for this service for
time involved in typing at a Grade 3 clerical grade.

Jim Guild

> From:         David Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
> Date:         Thu, 14 Feb 2002 03:43:14 +0000
> Subject:      Illegible Scripts
> To:           [log in to unmask]
> Comments: cc: [log in to unmask]
>
> Dear Colleagues,
> Concerns have been raised
> from a number of academic
> areas on the above subject.
>
> I have been asked to look
> into how the University
> might emphasise to students
> that illegible handwriting
> may cost them marks, while at
> the same time, avoiding appeals,
> litigation and penalising
> students who may have a related
> disability but have not notified
> the University - or prefer not to.
>
> 'PLEASE WTRITE CLEARLY'
> is printed on existing
> exams stationery.
>
> I would be interested to
> hear how the above issue
> has been addressed in other
> universities.
>
> Thanking you in advance
> for your comments.
>
> ************************************
>  David Maxwell
>  Student Records/Examinations
>  Queen's University
>  Belfast
>  BT71NN
>
>  Tel: 02890 335178
>  Fax: 02890 247895

Jim Guild, Assistant Registrar, Undergraduate Office,
University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH. Tel:
01273 - 606755 ext. 3819, E-mail: [log in to unmask]