It will be the HESA return for 2002-03 that will be used by newspaper and other league table compilers.  The previously used fields (23/24) for A level and Higher Points scores are removed and replaced with new fields including one for total tariff score.  The arrangement and method for calculating tariff scores was described in detail in HESA Student Circulars 01/04 (Nov 2001) and 02/01 (May/June 2002) and available at:
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/circulars/student/2001/01_04.htm
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/circulars/student/2002/02_01.htm
Annex 2 of 02/01 explains how the calculation should be done.

Mike Milne-Picken
Head of Planning & Performance Review
University of Central Lancashire
PRESTON
PR1 2HE
Tel: +44 (0)1772 892391
Fax: +44 (0)1722 892943
www.uclan.ac.uk/planning

>>> [log in to unmask] 26 September 2002 09:08:40 >>>
The Times standard population (info from HESA) for A-level scores is new students on a first degree programme(Qualification aims 19-24)aged less than 21 whose highest qualification on entry (QUALENT2) is 40 (A/AS level), with HESA A-level field 157 ALEVELS in 01, 02, 03, 04 or 97 (A or AS levels or combination) and excludes Scottish Highers or vocational qualifications.  Zero values are also excluded as are foundation years (Year 0).

David

Dr D R Elliott
Planning and Executive Support Unit
Room 222, Maxwell