Mannie -

Here's something that's been concerning me:  last Spring we began
the review and revision of our existing EO policy, with the intention
of expanding it  into a broader statement with valuing diversity and
promoting equality as the overarching ethos, in other words, the WHAT
and WHY (or vision).

The intention was - and I believe still is -- to support the broad
statement of policy with issue-specific action plans, in other words,
the HOW, WHEN and BY WHOM.  We had hoped to meet the requirements of
the RRAA with just such an action plan.

I floated this idea at a CRE HE Forum last spring, but understood from
the CRE that this approach would not meet their requirements.
However, I also  see in the Code and other advise notes that the racial
equality can be "combined with" another policy . .. but that "the race
equality policy will need to be clearly identifiable and easily
available".   Does "incorporated into" count?   Or do they mean a
separate document, "attached to" the main policy?

That said, we do have a separate Employment of Disabled People Policy,
as  the law permits - even encourages - positive discrimination (for
example, guaranteed interview schemes). To my knowledge, the RRAA
doesn't extend to that. Or have I missed something?

Again, something that can be raised in the consultation
process, but early clarification would be appreciated!

Regards,
Faith
===========================
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:33:38 -0000 Emmanuell Kusemamuriwo
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> As part of the ECU/CRE partnership work in devising a Model Race Equality
> Policy Structure for HEIs, we are holding a workshop tomorrow (30/01/02) to
> finalise this part of our work. It is then intended that the resultant Model
> Policy Structure will be ready to be distributed to all HEIs by Friday
> (8/02/02)
>
> In order to ensure that our workshop is as comprehensively informed of the
> issues as possible, I would like to invite colleagues to email me, by the
> end of the day, any pressing issues that you might have with the specific
> duties, especially the one on writing and maintaining your Race Equality
> Policy. I will then take any issues raised, to be addressed at the workshop
> in order for the final structure to take into account all raised issues.
> These need not be any complicated issues but those that you have come across
> thus far, as you have been considering your response to the specific duties,
> especially given the 31st May deadline.
>
> The Model Structure is intended to then assist you in responding to the HEI
> specific duties under the RRAA.
>
> I look forward to your response.
>
> Regards
> Mannie.
>

> Emmanuell (Mannie) Kusemamuriwo (Policy Adviser: Ethnicity and Cultural
> Diversity)
>
> Equality Challenge Unit
> 3rd Floor, Tavistock Place,
> London  WC1H 9RA
>
> Tel 020 7520 7060
> Fax 020 7520 7069
> Email: [log in to unmask]

Faith Marchal
Equal Opportunities Adviser
Anglia Polytechnic University
Bishop Hall Lane
Chelmsford  CM1 1SQ

APU is committed to being an Equal Opportunities employer.