We are coming under increasing pressure to offer CK in addition to troponin T in assessing all types of chest pain. At a recent meeting in Blackpool our cardiologists felt exposed that they were the only hospital who did TnTs without also CKs. We recommend only using TnT unless it is a barn door infarct and a CK is wanted to assess infarct size (we also make exceptions for other conditions like renal failure).

Were our heart docs correct in saying most other labs also routinely measure CK in addition troponin or is there largely a 'troponin only' policy elsewhere?

Eric

Dr. Eric S. Kilpatrick
Consultant in Chemical Pathology
Hull Royal Infirmary