A somewhat dated but nice review of this subject can be found in Diabetic Medicine 1990 vol 7: 199-206 (Burrin and Alberti) entitled  "What is blood glucose: Can it be measured"

Mario D'Costa Ph.D. FCACB
Director of Clinical Chemistry and Core Lab
St. Joseph's Health Centre
30 The Queensway, Toronto
On, Canada, M6R 1B5
Tel: 416-530-6263
Fax: 416-530-6559
email: [log in to unmask]

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 05/08/02 04:45AM >>>
Dear John,
I agree with Andrew that you cannot assume that you are measuring plasma
glucose. I think that you should look into the small print of the relevant
instrument manual.
Our Medisense glucose meter manual talks about "accurate blood glucose
readings". Under the section "Calibration", it shows nice photographs
showing "how to" calibrate.
Our Precision G manual states that the accuracy was assessed by comparison
with the YSI models 2300 Stat and Stat Plus analysers, with a correlation
y=0.938(x) +0.59mmol/L, for "fresh whole blood".
Our Abbott representative said that future Medisense manuals would more
explicitly state what was being measured.
I don't know whether blood gas instruments will try to mimic ward blood
glucose meters or lab plasma glucose results.

Regards
Graham Ellis
St. John's Hospital, Livingston, West Lothian

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This email may contain privileged information which is only intended for
the recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, please inform
the sender via email-reply and permanently delete this email plus any
attachment(s) associated with it.