Dear all,

I have received an email from Doris-Ann Williams at BIVDA who says that UK
diagnostics manufacturers are experiencing a crisis due to the problems
associated with obtaining clinical samples for assay validation, QC of kit
batches etc in the aftermath of the 'Alder Hey' report in the UK (retention
of organs/tissues).

Many of you, like my own hospital, will be taking steps to obtain (at least
passive) consent for use of samples within the hospital for QC, research
etc by displaying appropriately worded notices in venepuncture areas etc,
but we are still very nervous about releasing samples outside the Trust,
especially in exchange for payment, however that payment is described.
However, it is clearly having an impact on industry.

If anyone has established procedures for release of samples to outside
agencies in this way, Doris-Ann would be very pleased to hear from you
([log in to unmask]) and will act as a clearing house to put you in
touch with companies who need material. If anyone has any comments on the
problem and/or possible solutions, it would be interesting to read them on
the mailbase. If people think it would be valuable, I'm sure the ACB could
host discussions between the profession (ACB/RCPath) and the industry to
establish some sort of code of practice.

Mike Hallworth
ACB Chairman