Apologies to overseas mailbase members. One of my haematology colleagues has drawn it to my attention that any work performed on private samples (e.g. Nuffield or BUPA etc) and analysed by NHS labs is probably not covered by NHS indemnity. The MDU apparently confirms this and advises consultants to take out personal cover at a sum equivalent to the amount of private work charged annually. This is still necessary even if (like here) none of the private charges end up in the consultants' pockets, because we are still equally liable to be sued.

Even if it transpired that the NHS would indemnify, many take out MDU cover as well because they feel it is in their best interest. Has anyone come across this potentially widespread problem before or has a can of worms just been opened?

I daren't think about studies which also go through the lab.

Eric
Dr. Eric S. Kilpatrick
Consultant in Chemical Pathology
Hull Royal Infirmary