Paul

I went on a day seminar run by Pira International on the transportation
of Dangerous Goods for Health Professionals in March this year. They
organise these seminars periodically all over the UK and are based in
Leatherhead. The seminars are well run and very relevant. The
regulations are devised by the UN and Pira are involved heavily for the
UK scenario. The regulations can obtained in a publication entitled "The
Recommendations on the Transportation of dangerous goods - model
regulations". The present edition is the 12th but it is being updated as
the 13th to be out July 03 time. The 12th edition has all the rules, but
they are being made even more common sense as we speak and these will be
the changes which will come into the 13th edition. An example of this is
there will be no need to treat a hep B or HIV sample as "hi risk" for
transportation purposes. The statement "Diagnostic sample" on the out
side of the package removes all sorts of requirements for
transportation. That label is supposed to appear as of 1st Jan 03.

Information can be obtained from the UN site
www.unece.org/trans/danger/danger.htm Information can also be obtained
from the HSE website

One respondant has given me an address of a company who is willing to
supply the relevant labels. The address is Coverthem Ltd, PO Box 47,
Waterlooville, Hamps PO8 9TE. I do not have their phone number.

Hope that helps

Angela Veitch