Below is a summary of the responses I received - thank you all.  I am going to recommend, first and foremost a repeat and then if I get the same results, possibly get the LH analysed on a different method, possibly adding on a cortisol and FT4 aswell.

Summary

The result that stands out is the low LH, of course. I assume that
this value was obtained on your Immuno-1. This assay uses, I
think, an anti-intact LH antibody. These antibodies have been
implicated in the non-detection of LH in isolated cases in some
assay systems. The suggestion is that the isoforms in some
patients are "invisible" to anti-intact LH antibodies. As far as I
know, there are NO reported cases of this phenomenon with
Immuno-1, but your patient might be the first!
As a precautionary measure, I suggest that you get the assays,
particularly LH, performed on a different analyser.

It is difficult to interprete a single profile in
amenorrhoeic women who are clearly not pregnant. I
have frequently seen this peculiar pattern, I usually
do a progesterone and suggest repeating the profile
for 2-3 times at weekly intervals to assess HPO-axis
pulsatility. This pattern may indicate a luteal phase
profile in a women heading for the perimenopause. A
repeat sample may sometimes show a clear
perimenopausal pattern with very high FSH (>30).

I would keep hypopituitarism in the differential diagnosis because of the
seriousness of missing this diagnosis. Looking at the problem the other way
round then regular menstrual cycles are probably the best way of showing
that a woman is not hypopituitary. I tend to do random cortisols but more
often than not they are equivocal and perhaps I shouldn't - I suppose I am
fishing for the ones that are undetectable as I would convey those with some
urgency,. The other thing to think of is ferritin as haemochromatosis is a
cause of hypopituitarism - unlikely perhaps in a woman of child-bearing age
as her previous menstruation would be expected to protect her before it gets
to the stage of causing amenorrhoea. We measure ferritin here in
biochemistry so I tend to add it along with other baseline pituitary
function.

Low gonadotrophins are entirely consistent with anorexia (nervosa).
Prolactin, TSH and FT4 are usually normal, but cortisol is often elevated
and FT3 may be low (with reverse T3 being high) in this condition.

we have seen a few ladies with anorexia
nervosa in which the gonadotrophins have returned to pre-pubertal levels
(which does not really fit with your lady's results). It does not look like
PCOS either (unlikely from the history). The LH could be nadir of normal?

Regards,
Raheela

Raheela Ajmal-Ali
Senior Biochemist
Whittington Hospital

This message and any attachments is intended solely for the addressees
and is confidential.  If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.  Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or
partial, is prohibited.  Any views expressed in this message are those
of the individual sender.