>                                  2  The referral lab could report
> directly to the clinician and cut out the home lab altogether.
>                                       In that way there is a clear
> demonstrable responsibility on the reporting lab and the
>                                       receiving clinician not only
> knows where the test was carried out but also the
>                                       accreditation and quality status
> of that department.

I've always thought this is an undesirable approach. By insisting that
the report comes back to the referring laboratory:

1 The report can be found
2 The request can be "closed", and the laboratory can keep an eye on TaTs
3 The referring laboratory knows it is OK to pay

In order to try and keep this policy effective we (as referring
laboratory) only pay if the request goes out through us, and the report
comes back through us.

How many clinicians understand anything about laboratory accreditation
or laboratory quality management?

Dr Jonathan Kay