David

Put [health safety "universal precautions"] into Google - there is
quite a lot to see!

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/odhsb/biosafe/univers.htm
seems 'obvious' (but doesn't mention smoking, eating/drinking,
applying cosmetics)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/blood/universa.htm
is a bit more detailed in the context of HIV

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/prevention/ppe/universa.html
is in question and answer format

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/lifeline/
is more for the lay person

Hope this helps

Jonathan

On 19 Jun 2002, at 12:35, David Burnett wrote:

> In connection with Health and Safety in the laboratory we talk a lot
> about Universal precautions.  Does anybody have a clear reference to
> the concept, or detail of what they are.  I apologise if this rather a
> obvious question David Burnett

> This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical
> community working in clinical biochemistry.
> Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed
> via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they
> are responsible for all message content.
>
> ACB Web Site
> http://www.acb.org.uk
> List Archives
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html
> List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

Jonathan Middle, UK NEQAS Birmingham
tel 0121 414 7300 fax 0121 414 1179

This message is intended only for the above
recipient(s).  The opinions expressed are
mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those of UK NEQAS Birmingham, the University
Hospital Birmingham NHS Trust or the UK NEQAS
Organisation.