The issue of POCI (have you just invented that acronym, John? - very
useful) has bothered me for a while.  Doing something constructive
from the lab with over 350,000 sets of blood gas results a year alone,
with no specific clinical details, doesn't seem feasible!  However, it's an
important quality issue.

What I have done, in a limited way, is to visit the ICUs, preferably after
arrangement with the consultant, to see how they are using blood gas
data in clinical situations and discuss how it impacts on decision-
making.  It's educational for me, too, and I've also found it useful in
preparing case presentations for the department - much appreciated by
my colleagues apparently, as we do very few blood gases in the lab
these days.  This isn't a QA process, I know, but it goes some way
towards encouraging vital two-way communication on the use of POCT
results.

> This raises an important point - POCT has to be accompanied by POCI (point
> of care interpretation), otherwise why bother?. At present, if it's blood
> gases or electrolytes and glucose, or coagulation tests, it is probably OK
> to rely on human memory for the meaning of the results. But if we ever
> reach the stage of POC genetic testing before prescribing then it's likely
> that a profile of multiple loci will be needed and a database of
> probabilities will have to be available immediately, with the results. As
> for triple-test Downs screening, but on the spot and probably with the
> patient watching for any signs of uncertainty about what it all means!
>
> Quite a challenge, both in compiling the necessary data and in making sure
> it is available where and when needed.
>
> John Whitfield

Dr MJ Pearson
Department of Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
Old Medical School
Leeds General Infirmary (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust)
LEEDS LS1 3EX

Tel 0113 392 3945
Fax 0113 233 5672

http://www.leedsteachinghospitals.com