This subject has probably been aired on the mailbase in the past
but I would like to make an enquiry about how people correct
calcium for serum albumin concentration (I do not want a lecture on
the benefits of ionized calcium as I am fully aware of the
arguments!).

It has been my personal practice based on early literature not to
correct calcium downward in the presence of high albumin
concentrations.  This was based on the fact that albumin
concentrations can be acutely changed upwards during venous
stasis and that this could temporarily disturb the equilibrium
between albumin and calcium.  My understanding could be wrong
and discussions in my own lab have left us not knowing whether it
is safe and valid to correct calcium down.  Your thoughts and
evidence will be much appreciated

Mike Addison
Dr G.Michael Addison
Consultant Chemical Pathologist
Department of Clinical Biochemistry
Royal Manchester Children's Hospital
Pendlebury
Manchester M27 4HA
United Kingdom

Tel 0161-727-2250(AM)or 0161-220-5342(PM)
FAX 0161-727-2249
Email [log in to unmask]