This interesting thread seems to have turned into a POCT discussion - I have just picked it up late after a spell away.

I agree with David Alter that the need (or not) for POCT should be decided in terms of clinical untility before it is implemented.  Reduced TAT isn't necessarily the only consideration either (see Kendall et al BMJ 1998;316:1052-1057)

Both David Brown and Ian Barlow make valid points - unfortunately it is still sometimes necessary for the lab to pick up a POCT "almost" fait accompli and make the best of it (although much less frequently than in the past), while Ian's advocacy of the lab taking the initiative to establish a POCT committee is bang on.

I think the reality is that there will always be clinicians wanting to bypass the lab and establish POCT, with some companies willing to market POCT directly to them.  The lab has an important influencing/persuading role and will continue to do so - we have to accept that and develop it, while remaining pragmatic.  We can offer quality and risk management to clinicians and cost effectiveness to managers - point this out to them and they do take notice.

> The rule of thumb for point of care vs the main lab should not be "every
> good ICU has one" but is the need for a rapid at the patient bedside test
> warranted i.e. does it have clinical utility when the lab can provide a
> similar result but with a longer, but not onerous, TAT especially in light
> of the fact that POC tests cost 10x the cost of the same test done in the
> lab.

> In my opinion, the utility of the particular POC test in relation to its
> intended use need to be justified along those lines, i.e. where a rapid
> bedside result is going to have more of a clinical impact than waiting for
> the result from the lab when a STAT request is unfeasible.
> David Alter, MD

Dr MJ Pearson
Department of Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
Old Medical School
Leeds General Infirmary (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust)
LEEDS LS1 3EX

Tel 0113 392 3945
Fax 0113 233 5672

http://www.leedsteachinghospitals.com
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.