Doug Hirst wrote:

> "A young patient of mine with type 1 diabetes is keen on working
> out at the gym. He has been taking Creatine supplements (sorry -
> could not confirm dose) but I wondered could these supplements
> affect the Alb/Cr ratio?"
>
> Does anyone have any information on this?

Doug
We were involved in a large study in which we measured
creatinine excretion in athletes taking a one-week loading
dose of 25g creatine per day followed by a maintenance dose
of 5g per day.
The urine creatinine levels were not raised even when the urine
creatine excretion was 10g/24H. Since we use the same
method for urine creatinine (Hitachi 917/747) the creatine in
urine should not affect the ratio

Mike Collins
Mike Collins MLSO3
Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
The General Infirmary at Leeds,
Old Medical School, Thoresby Place
Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
44 (0) 113 392 2915
http://www.leedsteachinghospitals.com
The opinions expressed here are my own.
My colleagues and employers may not agree with them.

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)