Just a brief word of warning if you intend to use this test in patients
who have had any surgical intervention. Protein S100 is found in some
extra-CNS sites - including subcutaneous fat. During surgery, traumatic
damage to this fat causes a rapid release of the protein into the systemic
circulation. This may (and has been) be misenterpreted as CNS damage.
Althought the protein is cleared renally, we have not found any
significant influence of renal impairment on plasma concentrations of
S100.
I think you'll find that the test is carried out at the Institute of
Neurology in London.

Andrew Trull, PhD
Clinical Scientist Grade C
Head of Clinical Pharmacology