Dear Peter:

I get similar inquiries from time to time, and I must admit that I've never
given much thought to the ethical question you pose. Mostly, I am surprised
that anyone would bother to contact me for information that is so widely
available from sources that offer the comfort of anonymity. Ordinarily, I
will answer their question, but preface my response with a detailed
explanation of why it is impossible to predict exactly how long drugs will
be detectable in the urine of a drug user.

Maybe the doctor needs a note from his pharmacist? To people who are worried
about a positive test resulting from licit use of some pharmaceutical (or
poppy seeds), I always recommend written disclosure of any such information
at the time the specimen is collected. If the drug testing program is
administered responsibly, a qualified medical review officer will determine
whether the results are consistent with the drug history provided by the
subject.

Kind regards,

Roger

Roger L. Bertholf, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Director of Clinical Chemistry & Toxicology
University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville