In the past months we have suffered computer, freezer and equipment
failures, as well as the commonplace difficulties due to transport the like.

I am forced to conclude that, just as two one legged men do not make an
Olympic 100 metre champion, networking multiple poorly resourced
laboratories will achieve little.

Many thoughts on modernisation appear to centre on networking and parallel
working. If one element is weak the others will be put in jeopardy.
Investment in networks should not, I suggest, be seen as an alternative to
investment in their component parts.

Trevor Tickner, Norwich

(With apologies to those outside the UK)

P.S. My allusion to those with only one lower limb is not intended to
disparage. While there are many talented but disabled sportsmen, two
combining other than in a team event would lead to disqualification.