Interesting editorial in the 17 August issue of the BMJ:
http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7360/388/a

BMJ 2002;325:388 (17 August)

Patients should receive copies of letters and summaries

In 2000 we attended a meeting to discuss how to improve healthcare delivery
within the NHS.1 One of the recommendations was that patients, except in
special circumstances, should receive copies of all letters, case summaries,
or care plans written by doctors or other clinicians. We also suggested that
with the patient's approval such material should be stored on a central
server. The suggestion was accepted and published in the NHS Plan. The
perceived advantages were threefold.

Firstly, patients have a right to know what is being written about them and,
if such material is to be electronically stored, then they must be informed
under the rules of the Data Protection Act and in accordance with the common
law on confidentiality. An electronic health and medical record is vital if
we are to develop an integrated NHS.

Secondly, to refuse to provide such information if this is the patient's
wish is to deny their autonomy.

Thirdly, patients are often anonymous when they become acutely ill because
their history is unknown to the doctor or clinician who sees them in primary
care or when they are admitted to hospital. Access to a summary record
either carried by the patient or through the electronic record, would
overcome this difficulty.

The idea that patients should receive copies of letters and summaries is not
new, and research has shown that it meets with high satisfaction from the
patients.2 The proposal was approved by the Joint Consultants Committee
subject to certain safeguards. We assumed that recommendations from the
profession and the Department of Health would follow and the practice would
be introduced throughout the NHS without delay.

Not so. We have learnt recently that a committee set up under the NHS
Modernisation Board has now recommended further research.3 Given the urgency
of developing electronic medical and health records we wonder why any
particular difficulties in recommending the practice nationally could not be
sorted out through "action research" after introducing the policy rather
than waiting until 2004.

Cyril Chantler, senior associate.
King's Fund, London W1G 0AN

James Johnson, chairman, Joint Consultants Committee.
BMA, London WC1H 9JP

1.  Hill A, ed. What's gone wrong with healthcare. London: King's Fund
Publishing, London, 2000.
2.  Waterston T, Lazaro C. Sending parents outpatient letters about their
children. Qual Health Care 1994; 3: 142-146[Abstract].
3.  Department of Health. Department of Health plans to launch a programme
of pilot projects. Copying letters to patients initiative. Invitation for
proposals. www.doh.gov.uk/patientletters/proposals.htm (accessed 6 August
2002).