In message
m>, "TICKNER TREVOR (RM1) Norfolk and Norwich NHS Trust"
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>The logic of using a creatinine clearance emulator intrigues me.
>
>The purpose of measurement of clearance is to direct a clinical management
>decision. If an algorithm based on serum/plasma creatinine plus other data
>such as sex can be used to emulate clearance and that is then used to direct
>the decision, is not one actually using a sex/racial/weight 'corrected'
>function of serum/plasma creatinine to define the action limits?
>
>Would it not, therefore, be more logical to seek direct rather than indirect
>associations between serum/plasma creatinine concentration and outcome?
>
>Trevor Tickner,
>Norwich

It appears that this logic problem has been side-tracked by the whole
pharmacological and pharmaceutical world as they seem to use the
Cockcroft-Gault or versions almost exclusively in such areas as drug
trialling. Perhaps it is because they know that collecting a timed urine
correctly is one of the more taxing tasks in medicine. I assume that the
results from the calculations have been demonstrated to match the drug
excretion patterns they expect and/or vice-versa.
Perhaps viewing it from a logical perspective both clearance and
Cockcroft-Gault results are indirect associations of serum/plasma
creatinine concentration anyway.
--
Dr Henry Chandler