In message <57E8685118A8A345A626447A0F8D9C1523FC9C@REXCH1>, Patel Bharat
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hi everyone.
>
>Can people say at what level of globulin does one do an electrophoresis? We
>do ours at a globulin level of 40g/l.
>
>Bharat

It depends on how you define globulin.  We recently moved from BCG
(Vitros) to BCP (Beckmann) and our albumins dropped and globulins rose
accordingly.  We used to use a limit of 38 g/L in the computer to bring
results to our attention and the sort of criteria described by Elliott
to "consider" electrophoresis.  We did pick up bands in samples with
globulins < 40g/L under the previous system, but are currently aware
that a lot more samples have globulins above the limit, now we are using
a more specific albumin method.  So, as usual, it is up to the local
laboratory to define their own limits.
Trevor
--
Trevor Gray