Subject: Re: transport, and GP patients with spuriously high serum...
Author:  "Dr. David Acheampong-Mensah" <[log in to unmask]> at
UNITED_HOSPITALS
Date:    1/26/02 1:36 AM

       Re: transport, and GP patients with spuriously high serum K's
       ---------------------------------

       Mike,
       I would appreciate a reference (study) supporting your observation.
       Thanks

       David A. Mensah, PhD, FACB, MT(ASCP)
       Clinical Biochemist & Director of Laboratory Services
       Providence St. Peter Hospital
       Olympia, WA, 985506
       USA

       >From: Mike Collins <[log in to unmask]>
       >To: [log in to unmask]
       >Subject: Re: transport, and GP patients with spuriously high
       serum K's
       >Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:42:20 -0000
       >
       >Les Culank wrote:
       > > Have you evidence-based standards for GP specimen
       >transport, for
       > > example specifying limits of time, temperature, maybe other > >
       relevant factors, to avoid spurious elevation of measured
       >serum
       > > potassium?
       >
       >I don't think this you can give a definite time for potassium
       >since the leakage of K+ from the cells begins when the >glucose
       levels drop too low for the sodium pump to operate. A >sample with
       an initial glucose of 25 mmol/L will be OK for >potassium
       measurement after 24 hours at room temperature.

       >Mike Collins
       >

       > > Many thanks,
       > >
       > > Les
       > >
       > > -- Dr Les Culank,
       > > Consultant Chemical Pathologist, Addenbrooke's
       >

       >Mike Collins MLSO3
       >Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
       >The General Infirmary at Leeds,
       >Old Medical School, Thoresby Place
       >Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
       >44 (0) 113 392 2915
       >http://www.leedsteachinghospitals.com
       >The opinions expressed here are my own.
       >My colleagues and employers may not agree with them.

       __

This e-mail may have been sent by the author as a personal communication
and the views and comments expressed herein are not necessarily
reflective of the policies or opinions of United Hospital HSS Trust. This
message may contain information which is legally privileged and/or
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
any unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us by telephoning +44-(0)2894-424535 immediately
during United Kingdom business hours, or by e-mailing us at