Bart

It depends on what you want to monitor. We measure faecal chymotrypsin as an indication of the adequacy of the pancreatic enzyme supplementation. If we detect significant amounts of enzyme then supplementation is thought to be adequate. The chymotrypsin can be endogenous, from the supplement or a combination of both.

We also measure faecal elastase but in this case we are trying to assess the endogenous production of pancreatic enzymes by the patient. We use elastase to see if the patient has exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and if supplementation is needed.

Regards

Ian Holbrook