One can agree with Mike Collins’s position. I have got another example that
would support his position. Here in France, apart from those patients who
stay in hospitals, all patients are free to choose the clinical laboratory
where they want to to have their blood analysis performed. And outpatients
do systematically receive their results, except if they prefer not to
receive their results, and except for some rare results that could harm them
psychologically. Being in close contact with the French patients’
association « hemochromatose France » (the largest hemochromatosis patients’
association), we quite often receive testimonies from patients whom have
high serum ferritin or high serum transferrin saturation, but who complain
that their usual doctor did nothing about that or told them that they should
stop drinking (even if they swore that they did not drink anything). In
their testimonies, these patients tell us that they had to search for
themselves what means having a high serum level of ferritin and/or a high
serum transferrin saturation, and were thus finally able to find out that
they suffered from hemochromatosis (with the help of clinical chemists
sometimes). When the patients finally found out their own disgnosis, it was
then possible for them to be treated, even if some months or years were
often lost for them because of their bad doctors. But if the patients had
never received their results, it is clear that they would either never have
had their correct diagnosis, or have had it much later, and hemochromatosis
could have killed them quietly… without any possibility for the patients’
families to blame the bad doctors…

This is why I think that not only outpatients, but also hospitalized
patients should be free to reveive their laboratory results if they want to.

Joseph Watine, Hôpital de Rodez, France