From: William Marshall [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 July 2002 09:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: HDL assays

The most rational approach might be to report to a level of significance
that is reflected in the confidence limits for the measurement.  Doug Hirst
may remember that we tried this once at King's and no one understood it.
The practical problem with reporting data using a level of significance
that reflects the analytical precision is that this can mislead users who
forget that biological variation is likely to be greater than analytical
variation and may ascribe inappropriate clinical significance to the
difference between a result and a reference value or a previous result in
the same patient.

WM

From: Dr William J Marshall
Reader and Hon Consultant in Clinical Biochemistry
GKT School of Medicine
London SE5 9PJ
UK

telephone:      020 7346 3275