From: Fisher, Roy - RCHT [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 10:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Creatinine clearance test using 6 hours timed urine
collectio n

Mohammad

In conjunction with our renal physicians we have recently started to provide
calculated creatinine clearances using the Cockcroft-Gault formula, with
view to abandoning conventional creatinine clearances. They have also  asked
us to look at at another equation that is claimed to be a more accurate
estimate of GFR without requiring the patient's weight. However, as you can
see it's a more complex calculation that uses non-SI units and we have not
got round to setting up the algorithm yet. There are also method related
factors that need to be considered as seen from comparative laboratory data
on the UK Renal Registry.

GFR = 170 x (plasma creat mg/ml)-0.999 x (age)-0.176  x (0.762 if patient is
female) x (1.180 if patient is black) x (serum urea mg/dl)-0.17 x (albumin
g/dl)+ 0.318

Levey AS et al  Ann Intern Med 1999; 130: 461-470

The paper is available on line at http://www.acponline.org

Kind regards

Roy Fisher
Royal Cornwall Hospital