Dear Colleagues

Our laboratory has been involved in a prospective study (so far over 7
years) on a large group of patients and measuring their cardiovascular
disease risk factors. One of these factors is homocysteine. For the first
three surveys we measured homocysteine by HPLC - (very expensive and
tedious). For the more recent survey homocysteine was assayed on the Abbott
AxSym method using samples that had been frozen at -20C for approximately 6
months.

When we initially compared the HPLC results with those from the AxSym the
slope was 1.005, intercept was 0.21 and r2 was 0.997, using fresh samples.

We have repeated this analysis on the stored samples and obtained a slope of
0.955, an intercept of 1.65 and r2 of 0.273.

I am concerned about the loss of correlation between the two methods on the
stored samples.

Does anyone have information on the performance of the AxSym on stored
samples or can suggest a reason for this change?

Regards

John

Dr John Beilby
Senior Biochemist