From: Neely, Dermot [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Need information on Calculated Values and Ratios

At the risk of sounding like an insufferable pedant, I believe the factor
for calculation of VLDL-C according to the Friedewald equation (quoting as 5
for measurements in mg/dL)in mmol/L is closer to 2.18 than 2.22 as stated.
It may be calculated from the conversion factors for mg/dL to mmol/L for
chol (0.02586) and triglyceride (0.01129) as follows:
VLDL-C to Total Triglyceride ratio (mmol/L) = (0.01129 x 5)/0.02586 = 2.183
Use of the incorrect factor will, in fact, only make a small difference to
calculated LDL-C which will be overestimated by 0.04 mmol/L if the equation
is applied as intended with triglyceride <4.5. Perhaps we should try to keep
it simple and use 2.2

Dr RDG Neely
Consultant Chemical Pathologist
Department of Clinical Biochemistry
Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Trust
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4LP
Tel. 0191 2824554 Fax. 0191 2820381

The opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not
reflect those of NUTH NHS Trust unless stated.
The contents of this E-mail are intended for the addressee only.