                From:   p=NHS NATIONAL INT;a=NHS;c=GB;dda:RFC-822=ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN(a)JISCMAIL.AC.UK;
                Sent:   15 April 2002 14:17
                To:     p=NHS NATIONAL INT;a=NHS;c=GB;dda:RFC-822=ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN(a)JISCMAIL.AC.UK;
                Subject:        Frequency of tumour marker measurements

                Dear All,

                I've been asked to suggest minimum frequencies for assaying various
                endocrine and tumour markers in our department. I have realised that
                although I have been using as my rule of thumb, that tumour markers should
                not be assayed more frequently than once for each of their respective half
                lives, I have no evidence to back up this feeling.

                Can anyone point me in the direction of some suggestions/guidelines for how
                frequently one should measure: AFP, CEA, CA125,CA153, CA199, PSA and HCG ?
                I'm thinking in terms of monitoring progression, not diagnostic uses.

                Thanks in anticipation of help

                Helen Smith
                Clinical Biochemistry
                The Royal Free Hospital