Trevor
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here.  Are you saying that it
is worthwhile measuring urine myoglobin since CK will not always
be raised in myoglobinuria?  In the abstract you quote the
myoglobin method is not given but I suspect it to be a non-specific
and the timing of the samples may also be important.
I agree with Gerald.  There is no evidence that the measurement of
urine myoglobin is helpful in trauma care.

Douglas Thompson
Leeds General Infirmary

> There are several questions here.
>
> 1) Does raised CK tell you that there is myoglobinuria?
> 2) Can myoglobinuria exist without raised CK?
> 3) Does treatment of myoglobinuria benefit the patient?
>
> The answer to 1) is no - or at least not in all situations. See, for
> example http://www.aaos.org/wordhtml/anmeet92/scipro/ppr313.htm I do
> not know the answer to 2) and would be interested in the evidence. I
> believe that the evidence for benefit to the patient of active
> treatment is limited but generally medical wisdom is that diuresis is
> warranted.
>
> Trevor Tickner,
> Norwich

Dr Douglas Thompson
Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology
Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
The General Infirmary
Leeds, LS1 3EX
Tel: 0113 3926503