-----Original Message-----
From: p=NHS NATIONAL
INT;a=NHS;c=GB;dda:RFC-822=ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN(a)JISCMAIL.AC.UK;
Sent: 12 March 2002 12:07
To: p=NHS NATIONAL
INT;a=NHS;c=GB;dda:RFC-822=ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN(a)JISCMAIL.AC.UK;
Subject: Re: Rampant DKA with normal glucose and negative ketones

Jonathan

The message is "finger stick samples must not be used
in patients with peripheral shutdown whatever make and
model of the glucometer and whatever level of
expertise of the operator". The measured glucose on
the finger stick sample was analytically and
physiologically correct for the peripheral compartment
but was not the true reflection of what is happening
in the central compartment.

regards

Mohammad

=====