We recently had a case of significant discrepancies between a glucose
meter and the lab method. The meter was a Roche Accutrend Inform
(glucose dehydrogenase) and the lab method is glucose oxidase.

The discrepancy occurred shortly after tha patient had been given IV
human immunoglobulin - "Octagam". Octagam contains 40% maltose, and the
native preparation gives a very high reading with the glucose meter but
not with the glucose oxidase method. How is maltose removed from blood
when given IV?

I wanted to confirm this finding before reporting to the MDA by looking
at a few more patients, but such is the rampant beaurocracy of the NHS
that I am required to submit a full research proposal to be allowed to
take three blood samples.

I thought it would be easier to try the mailbase instead on the
understanding that, in publishing circles, if three other people think
so it becomes a well known fact.

Incidentally, I recently heard from Roche that the basis of Icodextrin
interference is that it is metabolised to maltose, maltotriose and
maltotetraose.

Doug Hirst
Biochemistry Dept
Bradford Royal Infirmary