From: Roger Ekins [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: woensdag 11 december 2002 19:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Raised T3, and looking for lab doing ft3

>63 year old female presented to GP with diarrhoea and weight loss,ft4 17.8
>pmol/l, TSH <0.02 m|U/L, T3 3.2 nmol/L. Three weeks later, diarrhoea has
>since cleared and patient is putting weight back on,  ft4 20.0 pmol/l, TSH
><0.02 m|U/L, T3 3.9 nmol/L. On file was a set of results from 1997
>ft4 19.3 pmol/l, TSH <0.02 m|U/L, T3 3.0 nmol/L. GP says patient is not on
>HRT, not the type to take herbal remedies etc. any ideas? I am trying to
>locate a laboratory doing fT3, please
>
>Dr. Helen Grimes, Dept. of Clinical Biochemistry, UCH, Galway, Ireland

FT4  and FT3 assays using UCL's patented labelled-antibody
methodology are provided on the Elecsys machine.  Might also be worth
contacting  Dr Alec Ross of the University Medical Centre Nijmegen,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands (phone 003124 3614276) who used to assay
FT3 using his symmetric dialysis technique, which is also well
thought of.

--
Regards

Roger Ekins

Molecular Endocrinology
University College London Medical School
London W1N 8AA

Fax +44 20 7580 2737
Phone +44 20 7679 9410

ACB Web Site