Some time ago, we converted from using serum to using Li-heparin plasma for
virtually all in-patient chemistries, but we still receive serum from
external clients. Therefore, we generated reference range data for both, and
the results were:

Serum potassium: 3.3-5.3 mmol/L
Plasma potassium: 3.3-4.6 mmol/L

I do not believe that we use different reference ranges for any other
analytes.

Roger L. Bertholf, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Director of Clinical Chemistry & Toxicology
University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville