From: Stephen Halloran [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 11:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Are serum potassium measurements acceptable?

Dear colleagues,
For some while I have resisted pressure to adopt serum as the prime sample
type for routine analysis. We retain fluoride oxalate preservative for
glucose, lithium heparin anticoagulant for many other analytes particularly
electrolytes and use serum primarily for immunoassays.

The disparity between plasma and serum potassium is my particular concern
and yet I know increasing automation has meant that many labs have adopt
serum.

Bayer have recommended we move to serum to improve the quality of analysis
on their Advia 1650 analyser and also to help streamline sample processing
on their automated sample processing and tracking system.

Is now the time to concede?
What is the experience of mail base members?

Stephen

Stephen P. Halloran
Consultant Clinical Biochemist
Royal Surrey County Hospital
Egerton Road
Guildford
Surrey GU2 5XX
Tel:- 01483 464121
Fax:- 01483 464072
Mobile 077 47 862 074

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.
Any opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do
not relate to the official business of the Royal Surrey County Hospital
NHS Trust shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
Consultant Clinical Biochemist
Royal Surrey County Hospital
Egerton Road
Guildford
Surrey GU2 5XX
Tel:- 01483 464121
Fax:- 01483 464072
Mobile 077 47 862 074

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.
Any opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do
not relate to the official business of the Royal Surrey County Hospital
NHS Trust shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical
biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed
via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are
responsible for all message content.

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions
(How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.  If you
have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system.
Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents
to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence. Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where
the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Trust.
Thank you for your co-operation.