I would like advice or opinions on how the cut-off for troponin should be
defined in practice for the current assays.  My apologies if this has been
discussed before.

The recommendation of the AHA/ESC committee on redefinition of MI,
reinforced by an editorial in Clin Chem by Apple and Wu is that the cutoff
should be the lowest concentration at 10% precision (unless that is lower
than the 99th percentile of a healthy control population).  However, there
are data to show that patients with small increases in troponin that are
clearly below the lowest concentration at 10% precision of the assay benefit
as a group from intervention.

See Morrow et al JAMA 2001 Nov 21 Vol 286 2405-12: At the cutoff used in
this study of 0.1ng/ml for troponin I, the imprecision of the assay is 20%.
The lowest concentration at 10% precision of the assay is 0.4ng/ml.  The
group with troponin I between 0.1 and 0.4ng/ml seemed to benefit from
intervention.  Which cut-off should we be reporting for individual patients
in routine practice?

Samuel Vasikaran
Core Clinical Pathology and Biochemistry
Royal Perth Hospital
Phone (61) 8 9224 2453
Fax (61) 8 9224 2491

This email intended for the use of the addressee only
Opinions expressed those of the author and not the institution