Dear Richard:

I believe your cynicism about BNP has some basis. The Biosite BNP test was
rolled out about a year ago amid the hoopla over a clinical trial conducted
at a VA hospital in San Diego that appeared to demonstrate the impressive
discriminatory power of BNP levels in the diagnosis of congestive heart
failure. In a subsequent multi-center trial (the "Breathing Not Properly,"
or "BNP" study, reported in both New England Journal of Medicine and
Circulation), the results were less impressive. I quote from the article in
Circulation: "In determining the correct diagnosis (CHF versus no CHF),
adding BNP to clinical judgment would have enhanced diagnostic accuracy from
74% to 81%." I'm not sure how many echocardiograms this modest enhancement
of diagnostic accuracy would save. I'm still waiting for the Evidence-Based
Medicine gurus to weigh in on this.

Our emergency department physicians also have inquired about BNP, and we
plan to add the pro-BNP method to our Elecsys platform when the test
receives FDA approval, which is anticipated within a month or so. I don't
recall them mentioning any savings with regard to the number of
echocardiograms, but it is my understanding that they will use the BNP
result to decide whether to initiate Nesiritide therapy.

Kind regards,

Roger

Roger L. Bertholf, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Director of Clinical Chemistry & Toxicology
University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville