From: Oriole Newgass [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 August 2002 13:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CILIP Draft Corporate Plan

That's a nice idea, Charles - but I've always had the impression that the
SLA
was red-hot on maintaining its "Glad to be a Librarian" stance, seemed
entirely
unaware of the negative librarian media image in the UK, and wasn't very
interested in the concept of information science.

As for CILIP taking an interest in ethical issues - well, we can but hope.
Only
since CILIP seems to be the LA in a new livery, and the LA never showed any
particularly ethical concerns, the hope is a very small one.

Incidentally if anyone wants an example of CILIP's unethical practices,
consider
this.  Corporate Members of the IIS (MIInfSc) who were not also ALAs, but
who
transferred their membership BEFORE the unification date of 01/04/2002 as
directed, are now addressed on envelopes as MCLIP, but are listed as
"Associate
Member" on their membership cards.  However members who were also ALAs have
MCLIP and "Chartered Member" on their membership cards. Thus at a stroke
former
MIInfScs have been relegated to a second-class category, and although
holding
the top grade of professional membership in the IIS are deemed not
equivalent to
the top grade of LA membership (in breach of the clauses on qualification
equivalence agreed at unification).  If this were not enough, turn to the
back
page of the CILIP appointments supplement of 21 June.  Under the CILIP logo
read
the quarter-page notice headed URGENT REMINDER TO EMPLOYERS:  "Since the new
CILIP Regulations came into force on 1st April 2002 the term "Associate
Member"
of CILIP no longer refers to the Chartership process but to a category of
membership.   The wording for your advertisement should read "Chartered
Member"
of CILIP if you require professionally qualified applicants".   This came
from
the Membership Careers & Qualifications Department of CILIP.   So now we
know:
there are lots of us out here - many with upwards of twenty years of study,
practice & expertise in information science (and even librarianship!) - now
branded 'not professionally qualified' and to be avoided by prospective
employers.  A very curious concept of ethical standards & practice, wouldn't
you
say? - which perhaps contributes to my rather jaundiced view of CILIP as
expressed above.

Oriole

Please note our new address :-

Mishcon de Reya, Summit House, 12 Red Lion Square, London, WC1R 4QD
(all phone, fax and other details remain unchanged)

The
contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.
If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may
be
unlawful.  Mishcon de Reya cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or
completeness of this email as it has been transmitted over a public network.
If
you suspect that the email may have been intercepted or amended, please call
the
sender.  When addressed to our clients any opinion or advice contained in
this
email is subject to our terms of business.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by the WorldCom Internet Managed
Scanning Service - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit
http://www.worldcom.com