        From:   Jo Webb [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
        Sent:   Thursday, August 15, 2002 9:55 AM
        To:     [log in to unmask]
        Subject:        Regions and decentralisation

        Isn't the issue really about ensuring variety and planning to be
inclusive?  UC&R National Committee holds two meetings a year in London and
the one somewhere else (most recently Leicester and Sheffield).  Although
the outside London venue is awkward for some, it is much easier for others
(including some of our most distant colleagues).

        Within our East Midlands UC&R section we arrange meetings by turn at
Derby, Leicester, Nottingham, Lincoln, Loughborough and Northampton, and
vary the start times and nature of the events (some half-day and free,
others full-day and paid-for).  Luckily we have suitable venues at each of
these places, but we try to at least create opportunities for people to
attend and get involved.

        And we have tried to get students from our local library school
involved - even offered to pay for course or conference attendance, but for
whatever reasons we haven't had a response.  And to answer another point
raised yesterday, wherever possible we try to send a representative to the
roadshows, although sometimes it is awkward when you don't have anyone
local.

        Regards

        Jo Webb

        Jo Webb

        Academic Librarian (Business, Law & Humanities Team Leader)

        Kimberlin Library

        De Montfort University

        Leicester LE1 9BH

        Tel: 0116 207 8046 Fax: 0116 257 7046

        Email: [log in to unmask] Internet: www.library.dmu.ac.uk

Privileged/Confidential information and/or Copyright Material
may be contained in this email.  The information and Material
is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only.

If you are not the addressee or the person responsible for
delivering it to the intended addressee(s), you may not copy or
deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner.
To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you receive this
email by mistake, advise the sender immediately by using the
reply facility in your email software.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Worcestershire County
Council.

Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of any
virus or other defects which might affect any computer or IT systems
into which the are received, no responsibility is accepted by
Worcestershire County Council for any loss or damage arising in any
way from the receipt or use thereof.