From: E.S. Rees [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 June 2002 09:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: consume

> Well, who are these people who do degrees in say, Archaelogy, Modern
Languages,
> Biology etc and then end up as librarians ? What WAS the point of doing a
first
> degree in subjects which require certain commitment to "give it all up" to
more or
> less give up on life it seems ?

So, all the accountants who did degrees in Archaeology, Modern Languages,
Biology etc. and then trained in accountancy are not proper professionals?
Many people work in areas which are nothing to do with their degree. I
originally did my biological degree with the thought of doing research, and
when I changed my mind, one of the reasons I chose librarianship was
precisely that I *can* use the degree to some extent- I work at a
science-based library.

> Also: why do libraries keep on asking for "dynamic and enthusiastic"
individuals when
> I have never seen any evidence of these qualities being needed for what
amounts to a
> shop job ?
> How enthusiastic can you be at 16,000 pounds ?

I wouldn't say my job is comparable to a shop job- it's a damn sight more
interesting for a start. But I agree completely about the money, I think
employers want us to have a vocation!