From: Andrew Hodgson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 07 November 2002 22:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Re.... recent e-mail about book scanners

Hi.

On the point of damaging binders, I wonder if anyone has had an issue with
the library regarding this?  I have been extra careful not to dammage the
books I borrow or own, to the extent that I get dreadful quality work with
my scanner when scanning in some very large books. However, I can get a
reader.

However, I know of at least one other visually impaired person who doesn't
kare what happens to the books, just so long as she can get them into the
scanner and into a text format.

Has anyone else come accross this?

Also, another problem I have with books is that if I am presented with a
large book, what do I do with it?  Do I scan it from cover to cover? Do i
just scan in the index?  Where is the index in the book (at the front or the
back)?  When scanning in the index, how to find the relevant page?  Etc.

One solution which I didn't mention here previously would be to photocopy
the book, then use a document feeder in the scanner to scan in the
photocopied pages quickly - this can give good results.

Andrew.
--
Andrew Hodgson, Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
Email: [log in to unmask]