        From:   p=NHS NATIONAL INT;a=NHS;c=GB;dda:RFC-822=ASSISTECH(a)JISCMAIL.AC.UK;
        Sent:   Thursday, August 15, 2002 6:55 PM
        To:     p=NHS NATIONAL INT;a=NHS;c=GB;dda:RFC-822=ASSISTECH(a)JISCMAIL.AC.UK;
        Subject:        single switch interface

        Dear all,

        I have custom made a number of single switch interfaces , which utilise tone
        feedback, to allow operation of
        two or more functions from a single switch. These have all been wheelchair
        based. A couple of examples would be:-

        a. User with an environmental control who has an Invacare Spectra Plus with
        handset control of Tilt-in-Space.
        Client not able to use handset.

                switch  press           beeps           function
                ( seconds)

                0 to 1                  none            short press to environmental
        control
                1 to 2                  1               tilt-up ( incremental  ie
        for 2 seconds ))
                2 to 3                  2               tilt-back ( incremental )

        b. User with an environmental control. Storm wheelchair fitted with DX_RJM
        joystick as a chin control combined with
        DX_G80A joystick requiring selection of on/off and drive program.

                switch press            beeps           function
                ( seconds )

                0 to 1                  none            short press to environmental
        control
                1 to 2                  1               G80A drive program increment
                2 to 3                  2               G80A power on/off

        The design uses a PIC so that delays between beeps, number of functions,
        duration of pulses can all be adjusted to
        suit. Power is derived from the wheelchair batteries.

        I have done a few of these recently for Oxfordshire Wheelchair Service.

        Do you know of anything else that would do the job? If not would this sort
        of thing be useful to you? If so I will look at how I can make this more
        widely available. One thing I have been thinking about is selling it as a
        kit for local assembly as a custom device.

        thanks

        Martin Wozencroft
        Clinical Electronics Engineer
        Posture, Independence and Mobility Service
        Oxford Centre for Enablement
        Windmill Road
        Headington
        Oxford OX3 7LD