Dear All,

Here is my little experiment:

I took a standard SL35 Lightwriter with DecTalk and programmed voice commands into the EvoSoft Sicare Light (voice recognition Environmental Control System). I programmed only a television with the words: Television, Wake Up, Sleep, Louder, Softer, Mute, Zero, One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine. Keeping the lightwrighter at the same distance from the Sicare Light I proceeded to test the functions I had programmed. Unfortunately the accuracy (I would suggest) was only about 60% so that other functions came up that I hadn't asked for. I then put the sensitivity right up and this seemed not to make any difference in recognition ability.

My original concept was that a Voice Output Communication Aid without Environmental Controls could be turned into one that could at potentially quite a reduced cost compared to upgrading a whole system.

I am sorry to say that my brief trial was unsuccessful and surprisingly so.

Please feel free to comment...

Thanks,

        Neil Gregory
        Clinical Engineer
        Access to Communication and Technology
        West Midlands Rehabilitation Centre, England
        Email address: [log in to unmask] (note new address from mid-May 2002)
        Website: http://www.bscht.org.uk/Services/rehab/frarehab.htm

        Tel. UK +44 (0)121-627 8235
        Fax. UK +44 (0)121-627 8892

This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.