We use tubes that have a slight vacuum in them. The caps have a rubber seal in
them that can be punctured by a needle in an automaic sampling device.

We found that staff were not removing the top to the bottle to put the blood in
the tube, just squirting it through the rubber seal.

Result, a lot of haemolysis.

> Does anyone have experience of a high percentage of haemolysed samples coming
> from A+E (not by tube transport) when the blood samples are being taken
through
> cannulae using a BD vacutainer system (LUER 367300). Any ideas!
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob
> Dr Robert Lord
> Department of Clinical Biochemistry
> Rotherham District General Hospital
> Moorgate Road
> Oakwood
> Rotherham
> S60 2UD
>
> Tel    01709 820000
>
> E mail [log in to unmask]

> This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical
> community working in clinical biochemistry.
> Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed
> via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and
> they are responsible for all message content.
>
> ACB Web Site
> http://www.acb.org.uk
> List Archives
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html