Hi Ben,

I agree with Ken's position that design research necessarily requires
many different research methods associated with different perspectives
on situations being researched. The 'methodology' terminology is problematic
 - in part because the term methodology is widely used (in the UK and
Australia at least) to mean 'a collection of related methods'. As Ken
suggests, it is probably helpful to avoid this meaning. I've used it this
way several times and felt it made my analyses messy.

For me, the main  issue in research methods is with making coherent theory,
rather than that all research methods must be epistemologically equivalent.
I feel comfortable when a researcher takes a single position in the research
and in theory building, but their position might draw on all sorts of
research methods. I've found it helpful thinking about research to separate
'making theory' from other aspects of research. This leaves most of the
other parts of research as 'information gathering', and in this role,
it doesn't matter how information is gathered (i.e. by what research method
- including simply observing,  reading, or getting it from a manufacturer's
catalogue) providing there is clarity and transparency about how much
it can be trusted, in what ways, and why.

From memory, I think the reference you are looking for is: Dixon, J. R.
(1989). 'On a research methodology towards a scientific theory of design'.
In S. L. Newsome & W. R. Spillers & S. Finger (Eds.), 'Design Theory '88'.
Berlin: Springer-Verlag. (I don't have a copy to hand to check).

I'm inclined to think that 'design' is still pretty pre-theoretical. The
core terminology and concepts are still not clearly and fully defined
and epistemologically well-justified, and are used in many different ways
that are conflatory and confusing - and often confabulated. I appreciate
the claim that diversity adds richness - but its not so helpful in developing
trustable theory that is as unambigous as possible.

Best wishes,

Terry

_________________________

Dr Terence Love