The morning I received an email from a former student; I'm passing it one
because (a) it's encouraging and (b) it helps to answer a question that
we've been tossing around for a little bit more than a year now: What does
Spenser have to offer our students?

Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:15:51 CST
From: wils0406 <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: The Faerie Queene
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi, David.

This is Andy Wilson. I was in your Arthurian romance class and graduated
last spring; I am now a first-year medical student at the University of MN.

I just wanted to let you know that I recently read The Faerie Queene (I
don't have the translation in front of me, but it retained much of the Olde
English (if that's the right term) spelling and vocabulary. You had
strongly recommended this poem to our class, and I decided to take your
advice. This text was very inspiring to me.

I feel a wonderful and challenging need to find a balance between a
pragmatic focus on the "real" world and its restrictions, and the
maintenance of an attitude of wonder, idealism, and creativity. In other
words, I have found the incorporation of romanticism into my outlook to be
essential, while still being able to act courageously and effectively. I
realize that may sound pretentious, and perhaps irrelevant; the point is
that The Faerie Queene was very effective as a healthy dose of fantasy and
romanticism, and thoroughly perfused my consciousness with grandiose
notions of love, valor, and evil, themes which are less tangible (and for
good reasons) in everyday, secular life. No need to respond; I know you're
busy. Just wanted to thank you for introducing me, along with your other
students, to new worlds.

Take care,
Andy

David Wilson-Okamura    http://virgil.org              [log in to unmask]
Macalester College      Virgil Tradition: discussion, bibliography, &c.