(soap box moment follows:)

Dear List,

I just received a summary of actions/events that have taken place in the last year by the APTA.  A rather impressive list...the leadership of Ben Massey Jr (APTA President) has been strong IMHO.  I want to urge everyone that is not a member become one....there are still some critical issues that have not been resolved whose outcome will partially shape our future (again IMO)

*Fighting a Chiropractor bill whose aim it is to restrict PT's from manipulation in several states and with Medicare Part B patients.

*Introduced legislation to gain direct access for Medicare Part B patients (and we all know that insurers are apt to follow Medicare guidelines)

*retained PT's ability to fabricate orthotics in several states (including Georgia , my state)

*Examining clinical education of PT's (looking at feasibility for residencies much like the medical model which is VERY exciting IMO)

*In my state (Georgia) we are fighting the massage therapists (they introduced a bill for licensure), direct access (heavy opposition from the MD's and DC's of course) and ATC's recently won the ability to bill insurance.

These aren't small issues...these are practice defining issues that requires unity/money to win.

Thank you for reading my soap box!

Jason Steffe, PT, MS, MTC
Physiotherapy Associates
1901 Phoenix Blvd, Suite 205